Politics
30% Additional Charge on One-Way Group Bookings for Ganeshotsav Cancelled
Mumbai, August 21: The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) has decided to withdraw the 30 per cent additional charge imposed on one-way group bookings for passengers travelling to Konkan during the Ganeshotsav festival.
Transport Minister and MSRTC Chairman Pratap Sarnaik said the decision was taken following directions from Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde, after Konkan residents and Ganesh festival groups requested that the additional charge be withdrawn.
Sarnaik said Ganeshotsav, Konkan residents from Mumbai and Thane, and MSRTC share a strong connection. Every year, around 5,000 buses are reserved to transport passengers from Mumbai, Thane and Palghar to villages across Konkan.
The additional charge had been introduced due to the financial burden caused by one-way bookings. After dropping passengers in Konkan, buses have to return empty, increasing fuel costs and overtime allowances for drivers and conductors.
However, considering the sentiments and demands of Konkan residents, the government has now decided to cancel the surcharge. MSRTC will issue a circular regarding the decision shortly.
Sarnaik has also directed the MSRTC administration to compensate for the potential financial loss by increasing passenger traffic on other routes.
